In this post, you’ll learn the basics of using Instagram, from how to set up your profile and how to post a photo or story to Instagram, to some more advanced stuff like Instagram analytics and using some neat tools to help you grow your following. To fill out your profile information, go to your profile in the app and tap on “Edit Profile." You have just set up your Instagram account! Post photos or videos When you want to post a photo or video, just hit the “+” icon at the bottom. Find people to follow Next, let’s follow some accounts to see what they have been posting or will be posting. Here’s how I would go about finding people to follow: Type in a keyword that is relevant to your business in the search bar Check out the suggested Instagram profiles or hashtags Follow the profiles that are relevant to your business Check out profiles that are recommended to you when you follow a profile Ideally, it’ll be great to follow your customers. Here are some ways: Mention your new Instagram profile on your other social media profiles such as your Facebook Page Add a link to your Instagram profile on your website or blog Include your Instagram username on your name cards When people follow you on Instagram, you’ll receive a notification. To comment on a post, tap on the speech bubble icon below the photo or video. Here’s how to do it: Go to your profile on the mobile app and tap on the gear icon Tap on “Switch to Business Profile” Select the Facebook Page that you want to be associated with your Instagram account Fill out your email address, phone number and postal address Tap “Done” 7. Here are some ways you can use the data in your Instagram Insights: See the changes in your key metrics, such as follower growth, in the last seven days Find out when your followers are most active to find your best posting times Know which are your top-performing posts and stories Learn about your followers’ demographics If you are interested in learning more about Instagram analytics, we wrote a guide on the topic, which explains more than 20 Instagram metrics, goes into the details of Instagram Insights and elaborates on how you can act on your Instagram data.
This story originally appeared on Buffer
More than 500 million people use Instagram every day, and over five million businesses use Instagram to tell their stories visually, connect with their fans and build their brand.
If you’re new to Instagram, it might be daunting to think about how you can stand out in such a large crowd. But getting started with Instagram is much easier than it might look.
In this post, you’ll learn the basics of using Instagram, from how to set up your profile and how to post a photo or story to Instagram, to some more advanced stuff like Instagram analytics and using some neat tools to help you grow your following.
Let’s jump right in — here’s our guide on how to use Instagram.
How to use Instagram for your business
1. Set up your account and profile
When you create your Instagram account on the mobile app, the app will guide you through a few basic steps for getting set up. Here are two things to take note of:
Your Instagram profile photo will be displayed as a circle. If you are using your business logo, be sure to keep it in the center of your image. Also, as your profile image will look relatively small in the app, you might want to use a prominent logo mark, instead of a logo with text.
The app will not prompt you to fill out your profile information but it’ll be great to do so. To fill out your profile information, go to your profile in the app and tap on “Edit Profile.” The two fields to fill out is your website and your bio. If you would like to change your Instagram username (i.e. @username), you can also change it here.
Congrats! You have just set up your Instagram account!
2. Post photos or videos
When you want to post a photo or video, just hit the “+” icon at the bottom. Instagram will show you the most recent photos in your photo library. You can also choose to take a new photo or video by tapping on “Photo” or “Video” respectively.
Select your media
Here are a few tips:
- If you are choosing photos from your library, you can upload your photo as a portrait or landscape. Select your preferred photo and tap on the icon with two arrows in the lower-left corner of the preview. You can then move and zoom the photo to adjust how you want it to fit within the frame.
- You can also upload up to 10 photos and videos into a single Instagram post. Tap on the icon with two overlapping squares in the lower-right corner of the preview and select your media.
- When you are taking a new video, press and hold the record button to record your video. If you want to film a few different things, you can let go of the button, point your phone camera at something else and press and hold the record button again to continue with the recording.
Edit your media
Once you have selected your media for your post, you can add a filter or edit its orientation, brightness, contrast and more. When your media is ready to go, just tap “Next” to fill out your post details.
- Write a caption: Your caption appears just below your media when your post is published. You can mention another Instagram account (i.e. @username) and add hashtags (i.e. hashtags) here. Accounts that you mention will receive a notification about it, and your post will appear when someone searches for the hashtags you used.
- Tag people: If you are posting a photo or a collection of photos, you can tag multiple Instagram accounts in each photo. The accounts you tag will also receive a notification about it.
- Add location: If your media is a photo or video of a location, you could add a location tag to your post. Your post will appear when someone searches for posts in that specific location.
- Social shares: If you have connected other social media profiles to your…