Repurpose plan in a nutshell This strategy is open to interpretation, but the key steps include: Choose a core content topic. Find other brands or influencers with content about it. How many partners do you need? Identify a core topic This plan revolves around a pillar piece of content built from content already created. As long as the partners share the content, youíll get a nice boost in traffic and some of those new visitors may download your content as well as your partnersí. Thatís great for your partners, but youíll lose leads. Itís 100% focused on influencer marketing (only a small feature of our product) and contains incredible content from our partners in a single-file download. And all they had to do was give us the best content they had already created and help us share our content for a week. Our plan never would have worked if the six brands contacted the leads in the weeks after downloading. Your promotion plan (for each partner) should include: Email outreach to the partnersí lists Social media posts Comments and shares for any associated blog posts Votes and comments on Product Hunt (if applicable) Quick note on Product Hunt We used Product Hunt to quickly get a huge amount of traffic.
If your business is committed to content, youíre probably sitting on a pile of e-books, white papers, and maybe even videos.
And chances are, youíre struggling to get people to download them.
Often, their promotion makes you anxious. You write more blog posts and social content to promote the original content and hope for small, incremental progress.
Wouldnít it be better to find new ways to bring people to the high-value content youíve already created?
In this post, I break down a process used at Mention that brought us 5,000 leads in a day and 8,000 leads in the first week, plus links in major publications and plenty of buzz online.
All results were from content that we (and others) had already written.
Repurpose plan in a nutshell
This strategy is open to interpretation, but the key steps include:
- Choose a core content topic.
- Identify your best gated content piece(s) on this topic.
- Find other brands or influencers with content about it.
- Choose the right format to package the content.
- Create a killer content product that looks new and exciting.
- Work together to promote it like crazy.
When you see the steps written down, itís simple. But little tricks and traps happen along the way, so weíll go through each point in detail. But first Ö
Before you dive in
You truly can create a quality product that generates leads based on the good work youíve done. But consider these key questions before you get too far down the track.
- How many partners do you need? By partnering, you increase the contentís potential audience. The more partners, the bigger the audience. But you also increase the number of people to split the eventual leads with. Find your sweet spot.
- How will you distribute the leads? You probably want to give one new lead for every lead a partner brings. Remember, youíre doing the hard work, so you keep them all.
- What resources are available? How much design and development time can you spare? And, if you want to use video, can you pull it off?
- Do you want more leads or qualified leads? I know, you really want both. Your lead goal is something to consider as you choose your partners and define the project because you want to cast a wide net but still attract the best leads you can.
Once youíve thought about those finer points, itís time to get started.
1. Identify a core topic
This plan revolves around a pillar piece of content built from content already created. Think of that one subject-matter area that really generates good leads for your business.
If your company has a narrow, singular focus, this step is easy. But if your brand addresses an array of topics, itís best to find one that:
- Interests users who need a product like yours Ė In other words, this subject should attract qualified leads for your business.
- Is a subject on which you already have high-quality content Ė The point is to repurpose, not start from scratch.
- Is a hot topic or does not have existing helpful content Ė If all goes well, youíre going to build the definitive resource on this subject.
The process is not too different from choosing your top priority SEO keywords. And if SEO is a big focus for you, you can take advantage of this opportunity to build a pillar piece of content with the help of other recognized brands in your industry.
We chose influencer marketing because much of our best content was on this topic, a lot of brands are interested in the subject, and we had a lot of content on it.
HANDPICKED RELATED CONTENT:
2. Choose your format
You want to find killer content from others and put it in a single content vehicle. Itís great for the audience because they donít have to look for multiple sources. Plus, they can trust that these content pieces have been selected based on their quality .
To create this pillar content, you have plenty of format options. Here are a few:
Roundup blog post
Itís a classic for a reason. If time and technical know-how are limited, write a post and link to each of your partnersí content pieces. As long as the partners share the content, youíll get a nice boost in traffic and some of those new visitors may download your content as well as your partnersí.
But if you go the back-link route, you send a lot of traffic away from your property. Thatís great for your partners, but youíll lose leads.
While the roundup is always nice for a blog post, you can aim higher.
One-click download shared by all the partners
You could bundle all the content from each of the partners into one zip file and have all the partners share it like crazy.
As a lazy person, I love this idea. You just need a landing page to gather contact details. When the users submit their form, they get all the content in one place. Itís a win for them and your partners all pushing for downloads in the same place. Thatís far more likely to generate leads than a single e-book on its own.
But itís not going to do more in the long term. Download pages donít tend to rank in Google, and once your first big push is done, thatís about it.
ďBest ofĒ e-book
Why not curate the…