Content marketing is different. It’s based on delivering solutions, answers and ideas to buyers who actually need those very things. Some brands do both, and that makes sense for them. What It Takes to Be a Great Content Marketing Example In assembling our list, we had to create some criteria around what we considered to be great. The Ultimate List of Content Marketing Examples 1. Barclaycard “The Fast Track” interactive online course for small business. Cisco Blogs and blogs and blogs… 30. Four Seasons Magazine helps the brand connect to luxury travelers. LEGO Family has amazing play ideas, building ideas, birthday party ideas and more (plus tons of awesome videos) 79. That’s a long list with lots of great examples.
It’s time for our ultimate list. Last year, we found more than 150 content marketing examples worth sharing. In 2018, we’ve found more because content marketing is an even larger discipline than it was just a year ago. Brands from different industries and backgrounds are now entering the world of modern marketing, and we welcome them into the fold.
It’s hard to believe that anyone would still be skeptical about the power of content marketing, but in case there are any holdouts, we’ve got the proof you need with lots of examples. You can also get our Content Marketing ROI formulas free, perfect for anyone who loves numbers. Odds are your competitors are moving full steam ahead with content marketing. Do you want to be left behind?
Content Marketing Is Not Advertising
Traditional advertising whether in print, broadcast or digital format, is but a mere disruption, which means it’s not relevant or wanted. Content marketing is different. It’s based on delivering solutions, answers and ideas to buyers who actually need those very things. Content marketing starts a conversation with a buyer—it’s not a hard sell.
The first step to becoming a best content marketing example is to understand the clear difference between the two. Some brands do both, and that makes sense for them. Odds are, they get more ROI from content marketing than the money they spend on traditional advertising. Plus, content marketing is much easier to measure compared to ads.
What It Takes to Be a Great Content Marketing Example
In assembling our list, we had to create some criteria around what we considered to be great. There needs to be a balance of design and utility. It has to get the job done—value of some kind—and ideally they are well designed.
The topic needs to be relevant and interesting to the audience. It should have a high readability score and cover the topic from an angle that delivers new insights and ideas. And of course, it should not be all about your brand. In fact, the less the brand name is used, the better. This is true thought leadership.
The examples on our list cover a wide variety of industries and formats. From eBooks to apps to video, content marketing includes a spectrum of opportunities. You’ll find the examples in alphabetical order instead of numbered because on this list, they all deserve equal props.
The Ultimate List of Content Marketing Examples
1. AARP listens to its members and develops content based on their needs in their monthly magazine that has over 22 million subscribers.
2. AbbVie StoryLab, a content hub focusing on the healthcare community.
3. Adobe and CMO.com’s digital publication literally targets their buyers with content and insight.
4. ADP’s SPARK on igniting the power of people
6. American Express Open Forum is one of the oldest examples of modern content marketing!
7. Anthropologie’s a BLOG is filled with ideas on what to pack or how to mix and match plates for a dinner party.
9. Autotask generates lots of content in different formats to attract customers.
10. Away Here, which signifies Away as a travel and lifestyle brand, not a bag company.
11. Barclaycard “The Fast Track” interactive online course for small business.
12. Bayer Magazine offers the latest in heath science
14. Ben & Jerry’s What’s New, which is about much more than ice cream.
16. Blendtec “Will It Bend” video series is just pure fun
17. Bloomberg Diversity & Inclusion blog where stories of diversity show innovation.
18. Blue Apron’s Blog uses storytelling to attract fans.
19. British Airways Destinations
20. Bumble’s The Beehive
21. Buffer Blog on everything social
22. Buzzstream uses a variety of content formats to rise to thought leader status.
23. Capgemini partners with LinkedIn to create Content Loop (one of my favorite examples of ROI)
25. Caterpillar #BUILTFORIT content hub for kids is pretty amazing and includes a machines playing Jenga.
26. CB Insider’s funny and informational newsletter
27. Chanel’s “Inside Chanel”
28. Cheerios Recipes
29. Cisco Blogs and blogs and blogs…
30. Clambr’s Featured Experts Articles
31. ClassPass’ great fitness content on The Warm Up.
32. Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials another one of my favorite examples.
33. Clif Bar Our Stories, that exudes brand values.
34. CMI has great content overall but even did a 45-min movie called “The Story of Content.”
35. Cox Media Group created an online “Success Kit” with valuable information to help other businesses succeed.
36. Crowe Insights develops content to target accountants and consultants with case studies, infographics, video and more.